What is a Painter?
Painters prepare interior and exterior surfaces of buildings and other structures and then apply paint with rollers, brushes or sprayers. They work with varnishes, lacquers, enamels and other materials. A painter must be able to mix paint, as well as operate sand and water blasting machines.
A painter must have good manual dexterity, neat work habits and not be afraid of working at heights. They must be able to read blueprints and do some common math.
How do I prepare for the trade?
The following will be helpful:
- Good reading ability
- General math ability
- Able to lift 60 pound objects
- Blueprint reading
How do I qualify?
- At least 18 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Be physically able to handle the work of the trade
- Have transportation
What are the program specifics?
- Length of the program – 3-4 years
- Minimum of 144 hours of classroom instruction each year
- Starting pay – 60% journeyman wage
Where Do I Apply?Joint Apprentice Training Program Painters Local No. 118 J.E.T.T.F. 4204 S Brook St Louisville, KY 40214 Phone: 502-366-2233